Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Get Clocked

This post is about how great things end up in the craziest places. Two years ago, in a tiny house where a couple had lived for decades on Detroit's far east side - a working class neighborhood during its best days - an estate sale listing with these pics shows up:






This was just around the corner from the spot where that guy was beaten by a mob after he accidentally hit a kid with his car. I am usually pretty comfortable traveling around Detroit, but this was all quite recent and I'll admit I had reservations about even going to check this out.

I did go, of course. I guess the story is he liked modern, she liked crafting. Her love of crafting served me well, I got a huge box of some really exceptional homemade pushpin ornaments from the 70s that I ended up using for our holiday window later that year.


The clocks weren't cheap (although the best were gone by the time I got there). Why they weren't sent to auction as a collection is a mystery. But let me assure you, if there was ever a neighborhood I didn't expect to find an amazing collection of Howard Miller/George Nelson clocks, this was it. It just goes to show, you never know. You just never know.

No comments: